Mold -AT tablet contains Amlodepine 5mg and Atenolol 50mg
It is a medication which is used for lowering of blood pressure and also causes prevention of chest pain. It lowers the blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels.
It is a selective beta receptor antagonist which blocks beta blockers. This class of drugs is used in cardiovascular diseases.
- Coronary artery disease
- Atenolol is used in hypertension
- Angina pectoris
- Mycocardial infarction
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Dosage: One tablet daily
- Mechanism of action
It inhibits the movement calcium ions in vascular smooth cells and cardiac muscle. It binds to dihydropyridine and nondihydropyridine binding sites. This causes decreased heart muscle heart muscle contractility. It also causes a reduction in peripheral vascular resistance and reduction in blood pressure. It also acts as inhibitor of acid sphingomyelinase which is involved in signal transduction and programmed cell death.
It produces its action by competing with sympathomimetic neurotransmitter for binding of the beta adrenergic receptor which is present in heart and vascular smooth muscle. This causes reduction in heart rate.
- • Atenolol
- Nearly about 50% of the drug is absorbed in GI tract.
- The drug is well distributed in the body with plasma protein binding about 6-16%. The drug follows hepatic metabolism.
- The drug is excreted in unchanged form in urine. The half life is 6-7hrs.
The drug is slowly and completely absorbed in the GI tract. The peak plasma concentration of the drug is archived in 6-12hrs. The bioavailability is 64-90% which is not affected by food.
About 97.5% of the drug is bound to plasma protein. The drug is metabolized by liver.
The drug metabolites are excreted in urine.
• In sinus bradycardia
• Hypersensitivity to atenolol
• Sensitivity to penicillin
• Amlodipine can cause hypotension
• It increases angina and can cause myocardial infarction
• Patients with hepatic failure
• Atenolol may aggravate peripheral arterial circulatory disorders
• Cautiously used inpatient with renal failure
• Can cause fetal injury
• Cautiously used in nursing patient