Diabetes is a very common disease that many people suffer from and diabetes leads to many complications in your body. Maintaining a balanced blood sugar level is thus essential. Many people can control the blood sugar level by maintaining a healthy diet but many diabetic patients need regular medicine. Vildagliptin is such medicine which helps the diabetic patients efficiently.
Mainly Vildagliptin increases insulin production in our body and decreases glucagon production by the pancreas. Glucagon helps the liver to produce more sugar.
Vildagliptin is an anti-diabetic medicine and is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. It is found in the market as Galvus and Eucreas. Eucreas is a combination of metformin and Vildagliptin.
When to not Have Vildagliptin?
In a few cases, Vildagliptin may turn out to be risky like:-
- If the patient is pregnant or thinking of having a baby or breastfeeding.
- If the patient suffers from any liver or kidney problem.
- If the patient is suffering from different kinds of heart problems.
- If the patient is having any other medicine, be it prescribed or not, be it herbal or complementary medicine.
- If the patient is allergic to any medicine.
How to have Vildagliptin?
Firstly the user must read the information leaflet that is there in every packet and get to know about the side effects.
- The Vildagliptin tablet must be taken as per the directions of the doctor that is to swallow the tablet along with water. Always listen to the doctor regarding the dose. If you are prescribed to have one tablet a day then do so.
- Generally, two tablets are prescribed. However, if one tablet a day is prescribed then one must have it in the morning otherwise one in the morning and the other in the evening. The tablet can be taken at any time- before, after or during the meal.
- If the doctor prescribes to take Vildagliptin with Metformin (Eucreas) then the patient must do so. It must be taken twice a day. Due to the side effects caused by Metformin the medicine must be taken with food. There are two types of Eucreas. In both types, the metformin amount differs while the amount of Vildagliptin is the same.
- If in any case, one forgets to have one dose then have it as soon as you remember. However, there must be a gap between the two doses as two doses can’t be taken together.
- How to get benefited most from Vildagliptin?
- Regular check-up, a regular visit to the doctor or regular sugar test is mandatory. It helps both the patients and the doctors to carry on with the treatments as well as it helps to receive the utmost benefit from the medicine. Also, regular checkups can determine the side effects which are often caused by the medicine. Some of the side effects are tiredness, abdominal pain, feeling sick, dark colored urine, etc.
- As per the doctor’s prescription or advice, the patient must check his or her blood sugar level after knowing about how to check the blood sugar level from the nurse or doctor. If prescribed the patient must also change his or her diet, quit smoking and do regular exercises. Alcohol intake can inhibit the actions of medicine.
- Drivers must take special care as high sugar affects concentration which is needed for driving. A driver with diabetic problems must always check his or her blood sugar level before starting the journey.
- As many diabetic patients do exercises for better results it must be noted that any new exercise needs doctor’s permission as it may affect you. Few incidents prove the occurrence of hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. Although Vildagliptin never causes low blood sugar still if you feel anxious, shaky, sweaty, hungry, look pale and palpitations then sugar must be checked all these are signs of hypoglycemia.
- Do not forget to mention that you are diabetic and have been taking Vildagliptin before any kind of dental treatment or operation. Always let your doctor know if you feel thirsty too much or frequently pass urine as it indicates that the medicine is not working.
Having your patience, while having Vildagliptin is the duty of every patient, as diabetes treatment is a lifelong process.
Side Effects of Vildagliptin
Though Vildagliptin is a very effective medicine still it has some side effects like any other medicine. They are:-
- Swollen hands
- Swollen feet
- Persistent abdominal pain
- Severe abdominal pain
If the side effects cause too much trouble then obviously you must consult the doctor.
Vildagliptin must be kept and stored somewhere away from children.
As any kind of direct light and heat is bad for the tablets keeping it in any dry or cool place will be wise.
Thus Vildagliptin is a very good and recommended medicine and does not cause severe side effects generally.